.

February 15, 2020

[Toy Review] 2009 Audi R8 - New Bright R/C Car


I got a randomly bought toy here, well kinda. This is the first time that I got an R/C car, never got one when I was a kid. So yeah, I just saw this 2009 Audi R8 by New Bright at the toy store and bought it and this is the last one in stock. This is a 1/10 scale R/C car.

PACKAGING

Front and back of the box.

This is a windowed-type box. You can already see the nice Audi R8 car in front. The other stuff inside is obscured by the box design. The back shows how the R/C works... kinda, and it shows a wrong car. I mean, what's that car shown at the back, not a pro car fan here?

R/C time!
Packaging includes:
- 1/10 scale 2009 Audi R8 car
- Controller
- 2x Antenna wire covers
- 6V 6000 mAh rechargeable battery pack
- 2x AA batteries for the controller
- Battery charger
- Instructions

THE CAR

The car is really big! This is a 1/10 scale car. Still, I wish this was a bit bigger... around 1/6 scale.

2009 Audi R8 angled shot.
The Audi R8 looks really nice and cool. This is a 2009 model. This R/C car looks realistic.

Front.
Here's the front. This car is really detailed. It got some grilles and the bezel on the front grilles is silver. The logo is just a sticker, and it's already faded. I want to put an actual tangible logo there. The headlights are realistic looking headlights, not cheap stickers like in some R/Cs, with transparent glass and silver internals. The windshield have a huge New Bright text printed on, I will remove them.

Back
The back looks nice too. Again this side is also detailed with grilles and actual taillights that can be modded to look even cooler.

Left side.
The left side doesn't have anything interesting, except for the gray part.

Right side.
The right side looks the same except that it features the gas tank lid and the exposed R/C antenna wire

Angled front bumper look.
Here's a angled close up look of the front bumper. See those nice details? And yeah I wish the Audi logo are molded, not a sticker. The headlights don't light up (but looks like they can on first glance). I think it's easy to mod and put some LED lights on them.

Antenna wire.
The exposed antenna wire looks bad especially if you want just to display the nice looking Audi R8 car. I think this wire can be shortened or hide.


The back looks really nice. Again, the logo is just a sticker. The taillights looks cool and always my favorite part when checking out a car. It got a red transparent plastic and silver bezels. The exhausts of the car are silver and doesn't have holes... I'll just punch a hole there.

Gas tank lid.

The gas tank lid looks real and can be opened. but this is just a permanent sculpt/mold.

Side mirror closed.

This is the side mirror on the left side. This is the only moving part, not counting the wheels. I know the side mirrors can also light up but this one isn'tt and impossible to install lights in it. I guess I'll go for a yellow reflective sticker.

Side mirror opened.

The side mirrors can be folded. I don't see why they made the side mirrors movable but hey, it adds to the R/C's realistic look.

Nice set of wheels.

Wow, the wheels looks really cool. The mags are too chromy though. Each wheel also have a brake disc for that detailed and realistic look.

By the way the car is hollow when you look at it underneath. No car internals, just a shell that's kinda soft and flexible.

ACCESSORIES

Obviously, you'll need these stuff to get this R/C car moving. But I'm happy that I have this car just for display too.

Controller with AA batteries.

This is the controller, it feels light and built cheap. It feels like it will break if I'm not careful. It's nice of New Bright to also add two AA batteries in the box so that I can already play this R/C car

Battery pack with charger.

The 6V 6000 mAh battery comes with a charger which is really nice. I just wish that the charger have an LED charging indicator so that I'll know when to unplug the charger.

Antenna wire covers.

Two antenna wire covers/holders are included. They look like yellow juice straws with tiny flags. They make those long wires looks presentable.

The controller with the wire cover.

Here's the wire cover on the controller. The wire on the controller is longer than the cover, still it works so no complaints here.

Antenna cover on the car.

With the wire cover on, the car looks much better, but I prefer hiding or shortening the wire because that antenna cover can get snagged on some places like under the chair or something.

QUALITY ISSUES

Unfortunately I found a broken part on my R/C car.

Side mirror missing!

Story is that this is the last one in stock and it got a broken right side mirror. The store guy says that it got broken while shipping and transferring them. I still bought it because I don't know if New Bright will release another one of these.

Loose right side mirror.

Luckily the side mirror is still in the box. I fixed it with a super glue, now it's stuck in an open position.

CONCLUSION

For my first R/C car, this Audi R8 car by New Bright is really nice and looks realistic, more realistic if it got car interiors LOL. I tested it and it runs very well and it's fast for a stock R/C car. The front wheels needs to be tweaked to make it turn more so that this car can corner efficiently. This car can be modified, I want to mod the looks of the car and I'll need some help in installing some lights and performance tweaks on the car. By the way, I got it on sale for Php.1,500.00 (about $30.00), it's original price is Php.3000.00 (about $60.00). That's cheap for a big R/C car.

Cheers and Happy Collecting!

2 comments:

  1. I also have one this car! It's not in a very good shape since I was going hard on it when I was a kid. The rear axle's snapped and the body has lots of scratches, right side mirror is broken and I don't even think it runs anymore. I'll fix up the axle, buy new wheels (preferably mesh) and get a more powerful motor. I'm also planning of lowering the ride height and giving it some camber since I want it to be a drift build. Otherwise, it's a very cool car and I had lots of fun memories with it back in the day and I hope fix it up and modify it and have more fun memories with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah, I want mine to be a drift build too. But it's expensive to mod an RC car

      Delete

.