.

May 09, 2021

[Toy Review] SABER ALTRIA PENDRAGON - Fate Grand Order Petitrits Model Kit (Painted)


Finally, I got the Petitrits model kit of Saber Altria Pendragon (I thought her name is Artoria?) The original Saber character in the Fate series, as far as I know. I know Fate/Stay Night but I haven't watched it. This version of Altria is from Fate/Grand Order.

"I ask of you. Are you my Master?"
~ Saber Altria Pendragon ~

PACKAGING

Box top

The top of the box shows a cute illustration of chibi Altria standing on a field of grass under the blue and cloudy sky.

Box bottom

The bottom of the box is blank.

One side of the box

The sides of the box shows a lot of product shots of the assembled kit (painted and unpainted).

Time to build!

Packaging includes:
- 3x runners
- 2x Sticker sheet
- Instruction manual

Recommended tools:
- Nippers
- Scissors/X-Acto knife (or something similar)
- Sand paper
- Masking/modeling tape
- Paint, markers, thinners and paintbrushes/air brush/spray paints (optional)

Be careful when you use model kit building tools. If you're a kid, have a parent or older sibling to assist you while building Gunpla or any model kits. And read the instructions properly to avoid building errors that might result to broken parts/pieces.

THE BUILD/FIGURE

Looking at Altria on different sides.

The finished kit looks very cute. I painted this kit for a little more color accuracy. I messed the painting process on the kit's tiny details because I got shaky hands. Still, I'm happy with the result of this painted kit.

She's got a nice face.

Altria's face looks nice and cute. Her eyes are green (these are stickers). I wanted to paint the mouth with a very thin Gundam Marker but I'm afraid that I might mess this one up. I don't want to ruin faces unless I have a backup kit.

Altria's ahoge

As part of the Fate series tradition, the hair of some notable or popular characters have ahoge (silly hair/raised strand of hair). Altria is the original character with ahoge in the series.

Alria's hair bun and ribbon

The back of her hair is tied to a bun and braided to the side. She wears a blue ribbon to tie her hair.

Altria's armor

Altria is wearing a nice combination of blue clothes and silver armor. I painted most of these parts. The blue parts came unexpectedly very glossy but I like it. The armor and clothes have some details.

Back of the armor

The back also look nice too. By the way the blue parts have two layers of paint. I painted them white first then blue.

Closer look of the breast plate.

The silver breast plate is painted with silver and the lines are painted using a black Gundam marker. It looks messy when you look at it up close but they look OK when viewed from a distance. I applied the blue sticker decals on the armor.

Closer view of the back.

The gold parts are painted using a gold Gundam Marker. I thought it looks nice but it became like that after drying. I think I will apply more paint on the gold linings later. Note to self: must use magnifying glass to help me see the tiny details while painting.

Right arm

The gold lining on the puff on the shoulders are painted. I used the gold marker a little less on this part. The silver gauntlets looks nice.

Left arm

This is where you find my biggest painting mistake. The gold paint from the marker poured a lot while painting the linings on the left shoulder puff. To fix the mistake I used a blue Gundam Marker to hide the excess gold color. The blue colors are uneven because I used blue spray paint first which is darker than the blue marker.

Checking out the open left hand.

The left gauntlet have a open hand that doesn't swivel because it's a single piece. Unlike the right gauntlet with an articulated right hand. I painted the palm side of the gauntlet using a black Gundam Marker.

The "tongue" of Altria's blue clothes.

I don't know what the center part of the clothing is, but I'll call it "tongue" for now. This part is not painted like the rest of the blue parts. The only painted areas here are the gold linings and the silver stud-like parts. It got some wrinkles for detail. Altria is wearing a white skirt underneath the blue clothes. I painted elliptical parts using a gold Gundam Marker.

Lower back of the clothes.

The lower back or skirt part of the clothes looks flat and simple. The linings are painted gold. I will paint it with some more gold later.

Side skirt armor.

Design-wise, the left and right side skirt armor have three connected armor plates. In this kit they're both large pieces. I painted the plates using silver spray paint. The the left and right side part of the blue skirt have painted gold parts.

Altria's silver greaves

The greaves looks nice and goes up to Altria's calves. It got some simple details. Altria is wearing white pants underneath.

ACCESSORIES/OPTIONAL PARTS

This Altria kit have three accessories or optional parts. She got a crown, sword and cape.

Altria's accessories.

That's a nice variety for a Petitrits kit but I wish Bandai included another sword, I'll talk about that later.

Altria's Excalibur

The Excalibur looks nice and have some nice tiny details. I painted this first with blue spray paint to paint the blue parts that's too deep for the marker to reach. Then I painted the sword again with gold marker. The painting process is really messy on the parts with tiny details. The blade of the sword have runes engraved on it. I painted it with black Gundam marker.

Other side of the sword.

The other side of the sword looks much better paint-wise. No runes engraved on this side. If Bandai provided two identical swords then I will paint the blade of the other one with silver. I forgot to paint the grip of the sword with blue paint. I think I will leave the part unpainted. 

Altria's crown.

The crown looks simple and got some detail. I painted it twice. I used a gold spray paint to paint this first but I'm not satisfied with the bronze-like color so I used the gold Gundam Marker to paint the crown again.

Top of the crown.

Here's the bronze-like gold first coat of paint. I didn't paint this area again because it's not noticeable unless you hold the kit and check it out on every angle. Anyway, the crown have a hole in it. To equip this on the Altria kit, remove the ahoge first then peg the ahoge on the top of the crown then attach them both on top of Altria's head.

Altria's blue cape.

The cape looks nice and got white cotton-like sides. I painted the sides of the cape with white spray paint. I did a very poor masking job on this one because my cutters got dull and I got a little impatient applying masking tapes on the cape. 

Reverse side of the cape.

I also painted the puffy sides of the cape's reverse side. It's ok to make some painting mistakes here because once you put it on the kit, the errors are not visible.

Top part of the cape.

By the way the cape have two parts: the blue part with puffy sides and the top part that's puffier. I painted the black strap and the gold buttons. To put the cape on the kit, remove the head first then put on the cape and then put the head back on. The cape doesn't clip on anything, it's a floating piece so it can move a little, but it limits most of the kit's articulations.

Altria's display base

Another unique base for a Petitrits kit. Altria have a gold display base. It looks like liquid gold that have calm ripples. What's different on this base is that it's not the style where one leg of the kit clips on the base, instead it got a peg that works better especially on this Altria kit. This base pegs at the back and under Altria's white skirt.

ARTICULATIONS

Altria waving at you.

This is a Petitrits model kit. It got few articulations but have a different one and a first for a Petitrits kit. I'll mention that later.

Showing her Excalibur.

The head is on a ball joint. It doesn't have any movement problems (except if you put her cape on).

Holding the Excalibur on both hands.

The shoulders is on a ball joint. It moves really well even though the shoulders have puffy clothing. The arms can fully rotate and raise to the side without any problems. This kit also have bicep swivel.

She's about to do a sword thrust.

Both arms are on a single hinge. It moves good enough so no complaints here.

Sword defense stance.

The right hand can swivel. Unfortunately the left hand doesn't move. Why, Bandai, why?

Ordering to charge.

This Petitrits kit have waist articulation. This articulation makes this kit more fun to pose than the rest of the Petitrits kits. The waist is on a ball joint. It can swivel side to side and can do some limited tilting to the front/back and side to side.

Wow she looks awesome with a cape and crown on.

Both legs are on a ball joint. They can move well because of the wide skirt. Both feet are also on ball joint it can turn side to side and can pivot a bit.

SCALING

Ahoge girls

Altria is about the same height as Mash Kyrielight and Caster Nero Claudius. Jeanne d'Arc Alter is taller and Okita Souji is still the shortest in the group.

QUALITY ISSUES

No warped, broken and missing pieces on the runners.

CONCLUSION

The Petitrits model kit of Saber Altria Pendragon is really cool. It looks like an expensive action figure if you paint this kit. My painting kinda sucks though so I will try to fix some of my painting errors if I have time. The articulation is really good and it got waist articulation which is a plus. But the trade-off is that the left hand doesn't move. This kit have a nice variety of accessories/optional parts. You can make her look like the normal Altria or you can put the crown and cape on her to make her look more cooler in exchange of limited articulation. The price of this kit is really cheap but you might spend more if you plan to paint this. I'm not a fan of Fate but I recommend this kit if you like the character designs of the series.

Cheers and Happy Collecting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

.