.

May 15, 2021

DIY - Raiden's Weapons Custom Painted


I've been thinking about this project for a month after getting the right paint colors. Now I decided to custom paint the High-frequency (HF) Blade and Combat/Survival Knife of the Play Arts Kai action figure of Raiden (MGR) to make them color accurate as much as possible to the in-game models and official artworks/renders.

I saw a post years ago about a custom PAK Raiden with an LED eye and custom painted weapons. It inspired me to do this project. I decided to do this now because I'm getting a little confident to my painting skills thanks to the model kits I painted.


These are Raiden's weapons. As you can see, they lack color. That's why I want to paint them. I'm nervous that I might mess this project up (this is a PAK figure accessory). I didn't include Raiden's kunai blades on this project.


I masked some parts of the sword and knife. It's a little difficult to mask the blade of the sword because I just wanted to paint the edge and tip of the blade and these parts are a little thin.


I sprayed both weapons with a metallic silver paint. I have a feeling that I will encounter a painting error on the HF Blade.


I only masked the knife's grip and painted the rest with the same metallic silver spray paint.


The application of the silver paint came out really good. The edge of the sword have excess paint in some areas but it's hard to notice them unless you take a closer look.


Time to use black, silver and gold Gundam Makers to paint the sword and knife's smaller details.


Some parts are now painted with the right color. I applied gold paint on some rivets. I applied a glossy top coat on both weapons after the paint dries for few hours.


The custom paint project on the HF Blade and Combat/Survival Knife is complete. They both look a lot better now compared to their previous look.

HF Blade

I'm happy on how the custom painted HF Blade turns out. It looks really good and more color accurate. I noticed that both sides of this sword have small barely noticeable difference after painting it.


This is the sword grip up close. At first this is just a plain black colored grip. Now the inner part is silver. This make it look that a silver blade is sandwiched between the top and bottom grip. I painted some of the rivets with gold paint.


Here's a partial close up view of the blade's edge and tip. There are some excess paint but barely noticeable when viewed from a distance. I also painted the dots with silver paint making it look like the silver blade have an outer darker colored layer that were put together by rivets.

Combat/Survival Knife

This is Raiden's Combat/Survival knife. From single color to 3 colors. This knife now looks good, just like the HF Blade.


I also painted the knife's rivets with gold paint. You can see more details if the areas of these weapons are painted with the right colors. I accidentally put some black spots on the knife, I'll fix those later.


I also painted the rivet on Raiden's forehead with gold paint as a bonus. It's not noticeable in front if I attach the bangs back but it's nice to make one detail on Raiden's face pop.


Posing Raiden with color accurate weapons is more fun now.


The HF Blade is more visible now while posing the figure thanks to the custom paintjob.


Like the custom painted HF Blade, the custom painted Combat Knife is more noticeable on Raiden's hand.


The knife looks good now. I don't know why this knife wasn't used in the game. I mean, the knife have the potential to extend Raiden's combos by dual wielding both HF Blade and Combat Knife.

Another DIY project complete! Even with some minor paint errors, I'm still happy with the new, color accurate, look of Raiden's HF Blade and Combat Knife. They make my Raiden Play Arts Kai figure look much cooler and awesome. What DIY custom paint jobs should I do next?


Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

.