.

February 17, 2021

Tethered Canon DSLR Photography Setup


I am now using a new photography setup for my toy and object photography. If you're using a Canon DSLR, read this post.

I was searching for a way to make my toy/object photography process much faster. I was using the self-timer for long exposure photos because my shaky hands tends to blur the images. Self-timer, even though I always choose the 2-second option, still eats time.

I visited Canon's website to find some software for my DSLR and I found the EOS Utility software that makes me take photos remotely while using my PC. It's called tethered shooting/photography and it's faster than using the camera's self-timer option. The software have a live-view mode, it makes me take more focused and sharper photos. It's better to see the live-view mode on a large monitor than on the camera's small screen. The software also let's you choose if you want to save the photos directly to the PC, to the camera, or both. It's a very convenient software, it reminds me of the photobooth software my sister uses.

Fate Grand Order girls.
My first photo using the remote/tethered shooting method. 

I'm using my Canon 7D (first model) and it's still compatible with the software, but I'm using version 2.14, not the latest version 3.13. It's nice that the software automatically adjust its version depending on what Canon camera I'm using.

This is my simple setup in my work area.

Now setting a simple mini studio with tethered shooting for the first time for my toy and object photography is not that difficult and takes a short time.

Here's what I use for my setup:
- Canon EOS camera (Canon 7D)
- Tripod
- PC (or laptop if I'm not shooting in my work area)
- 3 lights (I use 3 cheap ordinary lamps: left, right and top)
- Compatible USB cable (anything will do for tethering. In my case, I use my old mini USB cable)
- Batteries for the camera
- Flat surface for the object (you can also use some background)

Yes, I use simple household items/supplies to do my object/toy photography.

It takes about 2 to 3 minutes to finish my setup. That's good enough time and I can leave it already set up and ready to go so that I won't have to do anything for the next photo session day, just already proceed taking photos.

Live-view mode on a large monitor.

Batteries get drained and I need to recharge them when they ran out of juice. I searched online and I found a power supply that's compatible to my camera. It will reduce some work time because I don't have to switch and charge batteries when I'm using the power supply. I already ordered the item and I'm waiting for it to arrive.

Like I said, if you use a Canon camera that's compatible with EOS Utility software then tethered/remote photography is easy and you don't need those fancy expensive equipment to make your shots better. This method really helps me take better photos and I hope this post also helps you guys.

Oh yeah, stay tuned for my review of Avenger Jeanne d'Arc (Alter) Petitrits model kit.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

.